Whenever it first started I was skeptical of the whole coconut oil fad, but as it turns out, the hype got to me. I eventually tried it and I'm glad that I did. Since then I've found a variety of great (and some surprising) uses for coconut oil!
Keep reading for 25 great ways to use coconut oil.
1. Body Moisturizer - just grab a bit in your hand and slather it on as you would any other moisturizer. Coconut oil may stain clothes/sheets so use care when applying. What helps me is to use it sparingly so that it all gets soaked in.
2. Deep Conditioner - While in the shower, take a small amount and slowly rub it together in your hands until it melts a bit and is about the consistency of shampoo. Then, apply it from mid strand to ends. Let it sit for a few minutes then rinse out. Note: depending on your hair type this may cause your hair to be a greasy feeling. To combat that I used the coconut oil first and then my shampoo after, to make sure all the oil was washed out.
3. Deep Moisturizer for your Feet - At night, slather a generous amount onto your feet and then put on a pair of socks! You're feet will feel amazing the next morning!
4. Cuticle Cream - Use it on your cuticles to help keep them moisturized and your nails healthy and strong. I've also heard that it helps speed up nail growth but I haven't noticed that myself.
5. Chapstick - swipe it across your lips for a good natural alternative to chapstick.
6. Frizz Tamer - Melt a small amount (by rubbing in your hands or leaving next to a window) and it use it on dry hair to tame frizz and fly-aways.
7. Bath Soak - Add a bit to your bath for a moisturizing soak. I like to melt the oil prior to adding it to the water to make it easier to mix in. Add a few drops of essential oils and you'll be relaxed in no time!
8. Facial Scrub - Mix with baking soda to create a natural face scrub. I use one part baking soda and one part coconut oil to make a thick scrub. Massage into face gently and then rinse with water and a rag.
9. Treating Skin Issues - In some cases coconut oil has helped to treat skin issues such as psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema and other skin infections.
10. Cold Sore Remedy - I've read that just dab a bit of coconut oil (using a q-tip) will help to shrink the sore and prevent the blister from popping.
11. Reduce the Itch of Mosquito Bites - This is one of my favorites! For some reason I am a mosquito magnet. After I've been outside and I have plenty of bites to prove it, I use my finger to dab some coconut oil on the bites and I hardly ever have a problem with itching!
12. Soothe a Sunburn - I read that coconut oil, when applied to a sunburn, has a soothing effect and helps to speed up recovery of the skin! If you try it, make sure that you only use it on sunburns that have already "cooled" otherwise you risk trapping in the heat rather than healing. I haven't had to use this one yet (thankfully!) but I have logged it away to try in the future.
13. Metabolism Booster - You can add it to different foods or take it by itself as a supplement. The high Lauric acid and MCFA content helps boost metabolism.
14. Acid Reducer - Take a spoonful to help with acid reflux, heartburn, or indigestion.
15. Lice Treatment - Can be used to treat lice!
16. In Coffee or Tea - mixing it into your coffee or tea is an easy way to get the many health benefits (increased energy, help burning fat, prevention of infection, hunger suppression, etc.) and may also help in the healing of sore throats.
In The Kitchen
17. Lubricate your Kitchen Utensils - When you're dealing with food that may stick, lightly brush your utensils with coconut oil and you'll be good to go!
18. Grease Your Pans - Coconut oil is a great natural alternative to Pam or Crisco. Just dab a bit on a paper towel and rub it on your pans and baking trays. No stick!
19. Enhance your Smoothie - Add a bit and blend it in with the rest of your ingredients. Coconut oil easy to digest and is high in Lauric acid which is said to be good for heart health!
20. Season a Cast Iron Skillet - Coconut oil is a great, natural way to season your cast iron skillet! If you're interested in the process, check out this post.
21. Vegetable Oil Replacement - You can use coconut oil as a healthy replacement for any vegetable oil in any recipe.
22. Condition Wooden Cutting Boards - You can use coconut oil in place of mineral oil to keep your wooden cutting board from drying out.
23. Scratches and Rashes - If your pets are anything like mine, they are rough and tumble and they can get into anything. Whenever I notice a small rash or scratch I dab a little coconut oil on as a first defense.
24. Supplements - You can feed coconut oil to your pets! It has been known to help with breath, energy levels, and even skin problems. There is a proper way to do this which you can read about here.
25. Flea Treatment - This article does a great job of showing you how to treat fleas with coconut oil.
Have you tried any of these? How did they work? What are your favorite uses for coconut oil?